Friday, August 17, 2012

Bad day?

Ever had a bad day? Sure, who hasn't? Well, I haven't in a very long time and not because I've been very lucky, but because I've chosen not to. Have I had bad moments in a day or a bad time? sure, but I never let those moments ruin an entire day for me. How do I manage to not let a string of bad things ruin my day? well it's very easy, after some practice, but I simply just don't let it. While most of us would just like to rule out a day when it just seems that one bad thing is happening after another it's probably not the best idea. I mean that's an entire day of your life that has just been given up and dropped off the face of the earth and frankly life is too short to just let an entire day, 24 hours, slip through our fingers. 

Like many girls I spent most of my teenage years very depressed with a slew of bad days. My mother would always tell me that I had a choice I could choose to be sad or I could choose to be happy. At the time I would throw my hands in the air and scream "I don't have a choice God just hates me" well kiddos God did not hate me and though it took me until I was 20 years old I finally realized what my mom was saying had a lot of truth in it. I remember the day like it was yesterday the day I chose to be happy and not sad. It was a gorgeous fall day and I was living in Concord, Mass with my dad (which if you've never been is one of the cutest towns in the world) I woke up that morning and decided that I no longer wanted to be depressed. I drove around that day  for hours enjoying every minute of it. The world suddenly looked different it was no longer dark and gloomy but sunny and happy everything I saw was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. The day literally felt magical, it was magical. 

Now, I would love to tell you that immediately after that day I was never sad again, but that would be a lie. This is not something that happens over night it takes a lot of practice and time, a lot of time. This is why many people don't believe you can choose to be happy, but trust me you can. It took me almost two years before I finally got the swing of it, but it has seriously changed my life. I mean don't get me wrong I have 100% had a couple of bad days since then, but they're so rare that I hardly remember them. In fact I have only had one in the past two years. I remember this one in particular, because the day actually turned out to be good. At the end of the day I came home and started laughing because it was the first bad day I had had in as long as I could remember and that felt awesome.

Now, you may be wondering how can I turn my bad days into good ones? Easy as pie there are tons of things that you can do. I mean think of all the things that make you happy or that you enjoy doing and do one of them even if you feel too miserable to do something positive just do it and get it over with, because you will feel better at the end. Here are several things I enjoy doing when I'm having bad moments:

1. Exercise- this is the best thing to do as it increases your seratonin your natural happy drug
2. Go for a  long drive and listen to your favorite music
3. Go out to eat at your favorite restaurant
4. Go shopping
5. Clean your house or just a room, because the feeling of a clean house is always nice.
6. Hang out with friends
7. Watch one of your favorite movies, and not a depressing one like The Notebook watch your favorite comedy or action/adventure. I personally like Indiana Jones it's funny while also an adventure movie
8. Make a really delicious dinner that's also fun to cook
9. Get a bottle of chocolate wine or moscato and drink it with your favorite dessert
10. If you have a significant other you can ask for a nice massage

So this brings us to today's thing to be happy about. When bad days turn into good ones! Today, I fortunately am having a good day so I won't be experiencing this, but still how great is it when you are having a bad day and something amazing happens that completely changes it around. 

And if you are having a bad day today here's something that should make you smile:


No comments:

Post a Comment