Friday, October 19, 2012

Getting rid of the inner criticism

Probably just like every body else I am very critical of myself and am always thinking "no one likes me" or "I'm not good enough" Today from my Oprah newsletter (gosh I feel like such a mother/middle aged woman saying that) there was an awesome article about getting rid of your inner critic that I actually enjoyed a great deal.

My favorite part of the article was the first paragraph which was just hilarious:

"Maybe you're one of those self-assured people who've never given a hoot what anyone thinks of them. If so, you also probably set fires and hurt small animals, because you are a psychopath. Please go away. No offense—it's not that I don't want you here. It's just...wait a second. Actually, it isthat I don't want you here! Go right ahead and take offense! Decide that I'm a priggish bitch! I can handle it, because I've internalized the wisdom phrased so cogently by Socrates, or maybe it was LL Cool J: How others judge me is none of my business."

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/How-to-Believe-in-Yourself-Stop-Negative-Thinking/1#ixzz29lAV2Iu2


What really inspired me about this article though was the front picture, honestly I got more from that then I did the whole article.


Seeing these two jars gave me a brilliant idea. To get rid of negative thoughts about yourself and encourage more positive ones take these two jars, you can label them however you want to as long as there is one that means negative thoughts and one that is for positive thoughts. Whenever you think negatively about yourself you have to put money in the negative thought jar whether it be a quarter or a dollar. This means anything negative, if you think "I can't do this" or "I will never get to my goal weight" or "I'm a horrible person whatever it may be put money in the jar. Not only that, BUT also you have to write something positive about yourself and put it into the positive jar.  When I was a kid anytime I said something negative about somebody  or myself my mom would make me say 10 positive things, she still does this today. As much as I hate doing it it kinda works, which is why I think the jar idea may work. 

So very soon I am going to create these jars and let you know how it goes!!


No comments:

Post a Comment