Thursday, February 21, 2013

Finding time for fitness

As all mothers know trying to find time to work out when you have a little one is very difficult if not impossible. However, determined to lose all the weight I gained before pregnancy plus the weight I gained during I desperately searched for time and have finally found a routine that works. First I will say that Jack and I are absolutely blessed as Mariah usually sleeps from 10:00pm-6:30am; so I know that this is a little easier as I am getting an amazing amount of sleep for a new mommy. Having Jack is also a huge benefit since he is willing to take care of her while I work on my fitness.

I start out my days by waking up at 5:00am to begin my morning workout. I have several cardio routines to choose from to keep me from getting bored by doing the same thing everyday. I think this is really important as many times I have failed because I just got sick of what I was doing.

Cardio Routine 1:

Tae-Bo: As stated in my previous post I love me some tae-bo. It is such a good work out, you can really feel it in your muscles. I also have several different DVD's so I can change it up when I want.

Cardio Routine 2:

Zumba: I usually go with zumba when I really don't want to work out. It's is super fun so the time passes fast and it's still a really good workout.

Cardio Routine 3:

Couch to 5k: My friend Megan told me about something called couch to 5k, which is a 5 week program that  helps you build the strength to run a 5k. As I'm not a runner at all in anyway I was extremely curious. I looked it up and it seemed pretty easy or at least doable. You start off the first week with a 5 minute warm up walk then you run for 60 seconds followed by walking for 90 sec., you continue this pattern running for 60sec walking for 90sec for 20-30 minutes. You do the routine 3 days a week and each week is more intense than the last. I tried it this morning and I really loved it. I love being outside to work out especially that early because you get to see the sunrise. So I am really excited about this one.
You can google this and there is also an app!

Cardio Routine 4:

Lauren's Workout: This one I made up, obviously. It's a 20-40 minute routine depending on how many times you want to repeat it. I've been doing this every night after dinner. It only takes 20 minutes and I can do it while I watch TV!

  • Run in place for 5 minutes
  • As many push ups as you can (I can only do 5 currently)
  • 40 crunches (preferably on a stability ball if you have one if not regular ones work too!)
  • 30 Oblique V crunches on each side: Description below
  • 15 second plank (or as long as you can hold)
  • 25 lunges
  • 25 Russian Twists

  • Run in place for 5 minutes.

Each one of these workouts burns about 300 calories every 30 minutes. They are all pretty easy to do and I have found them all to be pretty entertaining. Lauren's workout is really good for when you're on your own with the baby because you can easily stop if they start to cry. If I'm doing it during the days I'm home I usually start it when Mariah has gone down for a nap and do it until she wakes up.

I really need to post some before pictures soon as I have already started losing some weight. I've lost 3lbs since Sunday! To be honest though I'm very nervous about putting any pictures of my body online as it's not so pretty at the moment. Soon I will have courage though.

No comments:

Post a Comment