Monday, July 30, 2012

Eating healthy and staying in shape

Recently, I have been very depressed because I do not have the pregnant body I always dreamed I would. I always saw myself with a petite frame and a cute little belly. Unfortunately, I had gained 40lbs right before I found out I was pregnant so I am now stuck in between a rock and a hard place. While I want to keep my baby healthy and gain as much weight as I need to I am also cringing at every little pound added on thinking how hard it will be to lose all the weight after the baby is born. I feel like not only is my stomach continuing to grow, but so are my arms, my legs, and my bum. I just feel like every square inch of my body has doubled and it has become quite a concern for me. 

I've spent an endless amount of time on pinterest searching for prenatal workouts and have found several good ones. I have been trying to at least do some strength training and walking which has encouraged me a little. I would love to do cardio, but every time I tried my lower abdomen would kill so I decided it was in the baby's best interest to not. Since I have a sit down office job I have been trying to get up once an hour and do mini workouts. For example I will get up and do 6 pushups (yes that is sadly all I can do),  a plank for 15 seconds, or leg lifts. At night when I get home after work Jack and I have been trying to walk around the neighborhood even if it's just for 15 minutes. My friend who just had a baby suggested even walking around the mall window shopping which is something I will have to try.

Eating has also been a difficult thing to control since I am ravenous all the time. I have been trying to eat as healthy as possible, snacking on fruits and veggies rather than chips or cookies or whatever my pregnant mind decides it wants (usually french fries), however, this is very expensive and my wallet is hurting. Since watermelon is in season I have been eating as much of that as possible and green gapes. Still not as cheap as a small fry from McDonalds, but has a quarter of the calories and actually has nutritional value. Since I eat a lot of pasta I have switched from normal store brand pasta to Ronzoni's smart taste pasta which has 5g of fiber per serving, 60g of calcium, 6g of protein, and only 170 calories. It's perfect and fills you up due to the high amount of fiber. 



Also, spaghettios have pretty much become a staple at lunch time for me. I know spaghettios aren't for every body, but I love them and they changed something, because they are now packed with nutrition. One can contains 6g of fiber, 12g of protein. 4g of calcium and only has 340 calories and 2g of fat. 

I have also been using a website called myfitnesspal.com which I actually started using over two years ago and it is amazing. It's basically a calorie counter that has an absurd amount of foods in the database and allows you to track the calories, fat grams, and vitamins that you eat each day. You can personalize what it tracks too for example I have mine track calories, vitamin C, fiber, protein, fat, and calcium so that I can make sure my baby is getting all the nutrients he/she needs. 
Not only does it track your calories, but it will tell you how many calories you should be eating per day based on how much weight you want to lose, your activity level, and your job. It is a little time consuming having to list out everything you ate that day, but it's also very motivating you'd be surprised at how many calories you actually eat. 


I'm hoping that these things will put me on the right track so that after the baby is born it will be much easier for me to loose the weight. 

Only 7 more days until we find out if it's a boy or a girl yaaay!

No comments:

Post a Comment