Monday, November 12, 2012

Broccoli Harvest Salad

So I'm pretty sure I've mentioned her before, but if not I'm going to mention her again, because I am in love with her blog. Kelly Hunt from Eat Yourself Skinny, http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/, has some of the most delicious and healthy recipes. I have so far made two of her recipes and each one was delectable. The first one I made was her macaroni and cheese with cauliflower that was amazing; Jack deemed it his new favorite mac and cheese, and the best part is it's low cal and low fat.

The most recent recipe I tried was her Broccoli Harvest Salad and oh my goodness is it amazing. It very quickly made it to the number 1 spot for pasta salads. You can find the recipe here: http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2012/10/broccoli-grape-harvest-salad.html or check out my pinterest board under Food.

The recipe is as follows:

  • 1/2 box of farfalle we accidentally used a whole box, it still came out great, however it does explain why we didn't have nearly enough grapes, onions, and broccoli. 
  • 1lb fresh broccoli
  • 1/2 cup light mayo
  • 1/2 cup non fat plain yogurt 
  • 1/3 cup of sugar
  • 1/3 cup of diced red onion
  • 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar we actually didn't have this so we combined red wine and white vinegar worked just as well.
  • 2 cups seedless red grapes
  • 6 cooked turkey bacon slices
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans we did not add this in because neither Jack nor I like chopped pecans
The recipe is pretty easy to make the only tedious part is slicing the grapes in half.

To begin prepare the noodles and cook the bacon; meanwhile cut the broccoli into florets, cut the onions, and the grapes. Jack and I always buy pre cut onions because neither of us can take the burning eyes, it is more expensive, but extremely worth it. Don't forget to steam the broccoli it's not mentioned in her directions. Mix everything together then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. 


I forgot to take a picture of ours, but it essentially looks the same just with more noodles. 

I predict that what we made will probably be about 6 servings if you're eating it as your primary meal. Nutritional information is as follows:
  • 473 Calories
  • 6 g of fat
  • 9 g of fiber
  • 20 g of protein
  • 19% of your iron
  • 28% of calcium





No comments:

Post a Comment